- Incorrect manual handling accounts for up to one quarter of all reported accidents in the workplace.
- While most incidents result in back injury, hands, arms and feet are also at risk of injury.
What is 'Manual Handling' ?
Manual handling of loads is defined as: "any transporting or supporting of a load by one or more employees that includes lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving a load which, by reason of its characteristics or of unfavourable ergonomic conditions, involves risk particularly of back injury, to employees."
This course provides training which allows employers to meet their obligations under the relevant Health ,Safety & Welfare at Work legislation.
Upon completion of the course participants will be able to:
LO1: Identify excessively heavy or awkward load
LO2: Describe the limitations of the muscular system and spine
LO3: Handle and lift loads safely
LO4: Understand employer and employee responsibilities
Target Trainee Profile
Any personnel whose work involves the manual handling of loads as defined under Health & Safety legislation.
- Load assessment
- Danger of untrained methods
- Principles of levers and law of motion
- Incorrect handling techniques injuries
- Spine care - safe handling of loads
- Practice in safe handling
- Lifting to and from ground level
- Lifting to and from a height
- Pulling Loading and unloading cars/vans
Highly interactive course making good use of demonstration, involvement and practice.
The theory section of this courses is available online.
Assessment & Certification
Delegates are assessed on their ability to meet the requirements set down in the training objectives.
Delegates are issued with a certificate of attendance.
Please inform us of any special needs or other requirements where differentiated learning may be required.
2.5 hours [Classroom-based]
40 mins [Online theory programme plus 1-2-1 or small group on-site practical assessment and training]
We provide specialist training programmes designed specifically to suit job requirements.
We have designed courses for a range of workers including:
Drivers (Sales reps., Delivery drivers etc.), supermarket workers, warehouse operatives, motorcycle couriers and office staff.
Our professional trainers are FETAC approved Manual Handling Instructors.